Friday, January 27, 2012

The Toolbox

The Toolbox

Today, my last day with the rubble crew, was very special.  Travis had given me permission to share again.  I had decided to do a ‘wrap up’ of the prior weeks’ messages.

I began by admitting that I was a mechanic by trade.  Of course they knew this all along, but I knew it would bring a giggle, and it did.  I mentioned that each mechanic has a well outfitted toolbox, like the service truck on whose bumper I was sitting.  Each toolbox, I continued, was outfitted with tools that helped me accomplish my task at hand.  The more I knew about the tools, the better the mechanic I could be.

I reflected that, in a sense, when I became a Christian, God had provided me with an outfitted toolbox to accomplish the tasks he assigned to me.  Unfortunately, I didn’t necessarily know how to use the tools that were provided.  But He provided the means to become ‘educated’ in their individual uses.

I continued that on Monday of that week I had given them a message like that of a pastor.  It was designed to touch the heart and cause a reaffirmation of their Christianity.  On Tuesday, that role was extended to that of a teacher.  I shared with them the ‘how to’ of sharing one’s witness.  On Wednesday Francois exhorted them to have self introspection in knowing their walk with God. An exhortation, I continued, was a prodding from the Lord to get you off the fence on deciding an issue.  He exhorts, or prods you with a poker to get you to fall one way or the other.  On Thursday Francois again shared about remembering where you came from before becoming a Christian.  In other words, remember your testimony.

So, during the week the crew was exposed to the facets of a pastor, who kneads the heart; a teacher who shows you how to use certain tools, in this case a tract and your testimony; an evangelist, or one who refines your witness.  These three messengers are those who can train you to use your tools.  I also explained that they had received knowledge about some other tools in their box.  We prayed before and after each message; we developed their witness; explained how to share a tract; and showed how to express faith when God is drawing someone to Him. 

I shared that with all these tools it was time to use some of them.  So I introduced another tool; that of giving.  And with the weekend coming up it was a perfect time to practice their mechanics’ craft.  It was time for a weekend homework assignment, accountable to the group at devotions Monday morning.

In the meantime, on Thursday evening, I had emptied my duffle bag of all the items I felt I could live without.  I made a stack on my blanket that amounted to forty or fifty pounds of stuff.  It included boots, rain gear, rain boots, pants, socks, new underwear, water bottles and other misc. items that are difficult to get down here at a reasonable price.  I wrapped it up and took it this morning to devotions.

I challenged the crew to consider picking out an item or two that they would give away to someone less fortunate than themselves.  It couldn’t be family, just someone else in need.  I also challenged them to give the item away in Jesus’ name and to take their tract along in order to share why they were doing this.  I also suggested they pray with the individual to let them know they cared. 

I also shared how many of the Haitians, when they would see the color of my skin, would immediately put their hand out wanting money.  I felt as though many of the ‘Christian’ Haitians really were only that by name because it would mean they got something in return.  I suggested that the motivation for listening to the crew’s testimony would be different if they were offered something from a National rather that an ex pat (what the Haitans call people from the outside who come in to provide aid). 

I was encouraged and surprised at the work crew’s response.  After a short prayer, they reverently reviewed the items I had laid out and solemnly chose their gifts.  I almost felt we were having communion as they seemed to understand the gravity of what I was asking; give something to someone that is in need, share the reason why you are doing so, if the opportunity arises to share your tract, do it; and then pray afterwards if it is warranted. 

I personally believe that the resurrection of Haiti will only come about if it is done internally.  Nationals have to witness to Nationals.  It is only then that I sense an honest change in the hearts and minds of this mentally war torn country.

4 comments:

  1. Dad,
    This is really neat that you took a problem you knew they were facing from people you have talked to and found a solution. I think it does need to come from the inside of the culture, but having people start it from the outside, like you, gets the fire going. =) good job! love you very much.
    3X1
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me cry Daddy! Im so happy you took a spark and fueled it. I hope you are able to hear a few stories of your belongings new homes.
    I know this has been a HUGE struggle for you. Honestly i was a little bitter that they had you and seemed unappreciative and ungrateful. This post makes it better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think it is so cool that God provided you the opportunity to share these messages. I know it was weighing on your heart and so did God. It is so powerful and reassuring to know that God hears the words of our hearts and answers the prayers. So happy for your Daddie; the change you started is really just the beginning. I'll be praying for a city-wide domino effect.

    2 d, 2 hrs.....+ or - a few...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Based on our previous conversations, I believe you went to Haiti to further your spiritual walk, but you felt unfulfilled. It seems your purpose was to go motivate the hearts and broaden the minds of Haitians themselves. I rejoice that your presence in and around the base has touched and inspired all of those around you. You are the type of person it is hard to be around and not receive the beauty of God’s love. For my own selfish reasons I miss you, but I find comfort in knowing you are bringing others close to Christ. Sharing is caring after all. :-)
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete