Saturday, January 21, 2012

Sadness

Sadness

Sandra Sumner, my mother in law, my friend and my other mom passed away this evening.  She succumbed to the final stages of a long illness called Parkinson’s disease.  We liked to call her simply, ‘Grandma’.

Grandma had a tough life with very few ‘breaks’ mixed in.  As a single mom she raised two generations of girls, five in total.  She was very proud of each one and showed it through her unwavering and unconditional love.  I never heard her say one negative remark about any of them, only words of concern for their well being and a longing to see them. 

She had joy every time one of her girls stopped over for some ‘mom’ time.  Unexpected trips to Goodwill or, especially, Dairy Queen or McDonalds for an unplanned milkshake registered high on her happy meter.  Unplanned outings for breakfast at Bob Evans, lunch at the Steer or dinner at the house with pizza were always welcome and appreciated.  She just liked to spend time with family.  Her family really was the center of her life and it showed in many ways.

When Grandma came over to the house in Madison she found purpose in helping Michelle out.  She would help catch up the laundry, clean the kitchen or just tidy around the house.  I suppose it is always easier to that in someone else’s home as Michelle would often do the same for her.  She helped out a lot by picking up the kids and taking them to their ball games in the summer.  She really enjoyed watching them and, if I remember correctly, didn’t miss but a small handful of games and school and church plays.  She was there for Christmas, New Years, Easter; all the holidays and many of those days in between when it was just a relief to have her around to lean on.

Grandma was one who stretched herself to watch grandkids at a moment’s notice.  She loved her grandkids and enjoyed the time she got to spend with them.  She subtly influenced their lives in many ways that reinforce the attributes they carry today.  Her participation in their growing up years formed a bond that only Grandparents can share.  It is special, different from that of a parent; one that my kids will sorely miss.

As the years went on Grandma was found to have Parkinson’s Disease, a destructive illness that robs the coordination and verbal skills of life.  She eventually moved out to Colorado Springs where her extended family helped her through the difficulty of losing those life skills.  While living with us in Colorado she passed her time picking up twigs in the yard and chasing the rabbits out of the yard.  Small holes under the chain link fence were promptly plugged with rocks or concrete rubble floating around the property and the offending rabbits were given a serious fist shaking and a rash scolding of mumbled words of warning to stay out or else.  In many ways I was glad the fence was there as it kept her corralled.  She loved the BBQ’s we had over the weekends and helped out in the preparation and clean up as much as she could. In the evenings she would sit with us around the fires we would build on the patio.  Even when it was mild out she would be bundled up in her winter coat, scarf, stocking cap, and indubitable smile that said, ‘I can do this and you can’t stop me’.  She especially continued with her love for ‘spur of the moment’ milkshakes.  For someone so small I never could figure out how she could suck one down so fast.  But as time wore on she had some incidents, like falling down the stairs, locking herself outside in the cold and dropping glass cups and then trying to clean up the mess that gave us cause for concern.  

After a number of years the extremely difficult choice for her to have professional care was made.  She was a real trooper having to be relocated a number of times to different facilities as her disease progressed.  A little over a year ago she requested being relocated one final time to Madison, her home of a lifetime to live her remaining time in familiar surroundings. 

Grandma left behind a legacy of tenacity.  Her life was overloaded with struggles that would make most people snap.  She dealt with each one as best as she knew how and then moved on.  She kept a positive, though cautious outlook on life and was able to give that enduring quality to her girls. 

Grandma, you have a large family full of kids, spouses, grandkids and great grandchildren who will sorely miss you.  We love you and look forward to being reunited with you some day.

9 comments:

  1. Great post, Dad. I forgot about the chasing of rabbits, or us trying to make her stop doing the laundry. She was relentless on being helpful. I do miss the staring contests and the search for Granny when she went missing in the department store. I have a great picture of her with a sideways cap and 'thug' hand signal. I had begged her to sport the look and she gave in with a smile. I'll have to see if I can transfer that photo to my facebook as it is one of my favorites.
    -Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. And let the tears flow...Daddy this is fabulous. She never missed a play, a softball game, was the first to volunteer when i wanted to drive with my new permit, etc...i remember cleaning and "organizing jer house

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her house, throwing a heating pad on her woth the early muscle cramps, letting ty ride with her on the adult tricycle...carrying her...helping with onion rings and chocolate mill...argh SO many memories. I miss her dearly...well written Daddy. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. You captured Grandmama to a T Dad. I thought back through all the ball games, events, holidays, etc. while in Madison...Grandma never missed one. She was at my graduation too...I have a great photo of her there. I'll have to see if I can scan it and post it on FB. She was extremely dedicated to her family.

    I heard a song on Way FM about the same time you were posting this. The song was from Switchfoot and it is called "Restless". The song is all about being restless looking for God and searching Him out. All I could about was that Grandma is no longer restless...she is at rest. If you get a chance, you should try to You Tube the song.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *milk
    Stupid phone....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Curt, Thanks for posting such wonderful memories of Grandma. Even though I have only been part of the Von Fange crew for a little of 10 years, legally for 5, Grandma has a special place in my heart. I thought I would share some of mine as well.

    I remember coming over for her world famous onion rings. Long after I left, I could still smell them and wanted to eat my clothes! I didn’t envy the cleanup which consisted of airing out the house; however I did enjoy those wonderful, fall apart in your hands onions.

    When she was down in Fountain, I stole her a few times and whisked her over to Burger King for a chocolate shake. I would eat lunch while she would finish off a large shake. For a little lady, she would finish it long before I would be done with my burger and fries! I always looked forward to those one on one times with her. She would sit and listen about my day while I listened to her slurp. :-)

    Even though she said otherwise, she did like Jose or Babe getting up in her lap. She would pet them for hours after they helped chase away rabbits. She would always throw the “kitty” even if she was tired.

    It was truly remarkable to witness such a selfless person. No matter what, she was determined to help out by washing clothes, doing dishes, or whatever needed attention; she didn't take no for an answer. Even though she is by God’s side now, her legacy lives on through the upstanding qualities she instilled in her children and grandchildren. I cherish those qualities in my wife, Michelle, Gina, Anita, and all of her family.
    You will be missed.
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Words were put well dad we all will miss grandmal I believe she lived an on purpose life because all she did was serve others and that's what were here for
    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra had a beautiful native limestone home in Madison, where Jonathan, Christina, Kim, and Stephanie were often dropped off during their growing up years. I purchased her mom's car at one time. Sandra's mom was a tough lady, and wept when the deal was made, with a nursing home ahead. Sandra being separated attended a Madison church singles group from time to time. I remember how hopeful she was of finding a husband. Sandra was always ready to converse, and had a kind heart. Though a small person in stature and background, she left an enormous impression as seen by these posts. Curt and Michelle my thoughts are with you. Love, Neil

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's difficult reading this because it brings many wonderful memories to mind as I type through the tears. I've had a heavy heart ever since we moved her back to Indiana and questioned whether it was a good decision or not. But we did find her a wonderful home there with only 35 beds with staff that cared tremendously for her. I know Jennie, the activities director will miss her sorely. They had a special bond and Jennie even took her to in-services with her. But because we moved her, I was able to visit one-on-one and grieved not getting to see her since phone communication was very difficult for her. She would try to talk on the phone and the last time we had a conversation she shared that she loved us and missed us. One of our last communications as a family was a Skpe call we made to here and then Steph and I were able to fly out and see her the weekend before she passed away. All the things that were said above speak of her self-less, caring and giving attitude. Mom was the one that taught us about service and how important it is to give to others. That legacy will continue to live in all of us. We love you Mom...and your smile and generous spirit will always be a part of our lives. Dance with Jesus..you are now free indeed! Michelle

    ReplyDelete