Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Sick Day

Sick Day

Today was an opportunity to be sick all day.  The headache started during the prior night and slowly grew to a throbbing pain on the side of my head.  Don’t think it was related to the food.  It is actually quite good….beef stew for dinner last night, some salad with no lettuce, cake and melon juice.  It might have been from the plane ride.  Craned neck looking out the window, head rest too low, leaning into the window for a no snooze snooze.  More likely it was due to caffeine withdrawals.  No morning mocha with Glen at the shop; no 10AM Mountain Dew at breaktime; no three cups of Dr. Pepper at lunch with a burger; no evening Dew at Kyle’s while watching the movie….yeah, I think it had to do with Caffeine withdrawal.  Maybe tomorrow it will be less….I might even wean myself off of soda altogether….I know, don’t talk like that; sorry Jonathan!  And Kyle….steff, kim…all you dew lovers out there.

I actually spent most of the day in the tent with the AC and my throbbing head.  But I found some Ibuprofen this evening and loaded up….feel much better this evening.  The staff went into town for a go away dinner for Stephan, a young man from Uganda who has been here a year.  He is looking forward to his return home but I think he will miss the friends he made here.  I was going to attend also but cancelled at the last minute since I didn’t think I could survive the ride or the steak. 

Travis took me into town in the late morning to visit an upcoming job site.  SP is building an orphanage near Leogane.  Judd is in charge of the building project and needs around 160  triaxle loads of fill material brought in.  On Monday the crew is going to move the dozer and excavator to the river bed and move the material to site using rented dumptrucks as ours are on another location.  Should be there a few days.  The national crew is returning tomorrow and I will be introduced to the excavator and dozer.  There is a large pile of rubble on the property that we are going to move to the other side of the property to raise the area slated for building the new extension next week.  It’ll give me chance to relearn my coordination skills on a bigger piece of equipment.   Hoping my head is feeling better by then.

In the meantime I got some juice at the kitchen, tried visiting with two of the Haitian security guards who pretty much only speak French or Creole …. Didn’t go too far….and spent a little time on Skype with Jon and then Michelle.  Nice to see faces but makes the distance all that more prevalent. 

Wish I would’ve learned French from Jan……

5 comments:

  1. You know, French wouldn't be too hard for you to learn/pick up on. You could use your handy-dandy computer to practice at night. If I found a website to help, would you use it? Even for a bit of practice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! soooo...I was thinking to help with the caffeine fix you should start drinking tea... I know I know.. you hate tea.. but! you might like Haitian tea! never know.. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Steph and Kim...drink tea and learn French, maybe Jan can help. You never know! love you....Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. mom i love your name! :)
    daddy--youre crazy for going cold turkey! :)

    ReplyDelete