Friday, December 9, 2011

Opportunities

Opportunities

I showed up early for devotions today.  No one was there so I sat in the shade and contemplated what I should write about.  I was out of immediate ideas so I quietly asked God to show me some opportunities.

Being cognizant of what is going on around you is part of finding an opportunity.  A small detail unnoticed by others can create an interesting storyline.  Daily events and activities that others can relate to also provides content.  Sometimes God intervenes on your behalf and creates and interesting story demonstrating His power and compassion.  When in a foreign country the cultural differences in the people and how they do things can be fun to elaborate on.  Overall, there is plenty of material; it is simply a matter of observing what is happening around you and being able to make a story out of it.

Such was my day.  I discovered two or three things that I could write about.  But I think the most important point that God was showing me was in being aware; aware of the opportunities that surround me on a daily basis.  Being aware means tuning in to what God wants to show you; tuning in to the simple tasks going on all around and, in them, being able to see a chance to put it into a different light, a slant, if you will, on something that shows God’s presence in the simple areas of our lives. I believe that God loves to reveal His workings in our daily lives.  It is good to stop and notice them.  It not only gives us delight to know that He is near, but I really think He enjoys it when we spot Him in action.  The more He notices us looking, the more He delights in acting; kind of like a little kid doing some action.  He does it while grandpa is looking, but when grandpa turns away, he stops.  When attention is diverted back to the little kid he starts it up again.  I’m not referring to my Father as a little kid by any means, but, on the other hand, I like to think He wants to do things that we will notice; and the more we notice the more He likes doing it.

One other aspect about awareness of opportunity is that it can create a moment of God being seen by others who might not know Him.  He tells us to be ‘instant in season and out of season, always ready to give account of your faith’.  It could be that looking for opportunity might just be one of those divine appointments that God has made for you on behalf of someone searching for Him.  That blink of time could be the determining factor for someone’s eternity.

I almost changed the title of this entry to ‘awareness’.  But I decided to keep it ‘opportunities’ because they seem to be everywhere.  Simple ones can be simple to see; just look.  But as you become closer to God and enjoy watching what I would like to think of as one of His favorite pastimes of drawing our attention to Him, it is enlightening to find Him in the smallest detail, the funniest event or the simplest of life’s adventures. 

Look closely in everyday life, God is waiting like a child at Christmas to show you his wonders and love.

1 comment:

  1. I'll give this a try Dad. I've been so concerned with the negatives and so busy that I've stopped looking for those small details that show God's hand in my life. I really think that's what I need right now...to see that "He's not finished with me yet" (Brandon Heath song). I'll keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete