Sunday, December 25, 2011

A Different Kind of Christmas

A Different Kind of Christmas

I guess it should have been obvious that, since I’m in Haiti, my Christmas Day would be a little different.  It was.

I didn’t have to get up early to open gifts.  So I didn’t.  I slept in to a respectable nine o’clock.  After that I wandered down to the kitchen where a number of people were munching on fresh cinnamon rolls that Jake had made up the night before.  They were good; I had three … shhh …. Don’t tell anyone.

Next on the agenda was a white elephant gift exchange that John had arranged.  I brought an I tunes card that I didn’t know what to do with and wrapped it in a large tree leaf; I tied it closed with some long grass.  I thought it looked pretty good so I placed it behind the tree next to the wall.  Twelve or so people showed up and we opened strange things and passed them around.  There were some good laughs.  I ended up with a box full of cloth and some thread.  Maybe I should take up sewing and make a quilt.  Naw, I don’t think so.  I left it in the eating area; I’m sure it will miraculously disappear over time.

A little later in the early afternoon I spent some time on the electronic communicator; Facebook, yahoomail, gmail and the likes.  It was a little weird talking to my family on Christmas via this medium.  As an older guy I kinda like seeing faces; hearing the voice; sharing a real laugh; I’m not sure the computer is a personal enough way of showing ones affection and love.  But on the hand, I was glad that I at least had that.  It made me feel a little bit closer to home.

I almost wandered off to sleep but discovered that my Yoga class was in five minutes.  Yeah, yeah, I know …. Yoga.  It sounds so …. Mystically eastern.  But after working with it a few times I’ve found that the stretching helps my back not hurt as much and my muscles to be a little less cranky when working.  Besides, Blane, one of our resident Canadians (eh?) had a friend visiting, another Canadian (eh?) who is a certified Yoga instructor.  I was curious what his take was on Yoga versus Christianity and wanted to participate in the short class he was offering. 

I actually participated in one of his classes yesterday and enjoyed it.  Shane was feeling a little under the weather today so we settled for a short walk up and down the beach.  I enjoyed that more as I really just wanted to chat with him some.

On the Beach

My personal trainer, Shane ... until tomorrow at least.
Shane has been working for a number of years as a Yoga instructor.  His current employment is working with his local school board in Vancouver.  He provides Yoga classes for challenged students: those with ADD, anger issues, or are unruly or unmanageable.  It is in lieu of a physical ed class and he has written the curriculum and works closely with the teachers and family.  He describes it as a ‘non faith based practice’ class and focus’ mainly on learning to be in control of your body.  He does this though the stretching and orderliness of the program he has devised.  He says he has worked with as many as 60 students at one time but prefers the smaller classes of 20 to 24.  They meet twice a week for the entire school year. 

As we walked down the beach I asked him how he compares his classes to the mysticism that Yoga is usually stereotyped with.  Shane is aware of the fear people have in that respect.  He states that, as a Christian, he feels it is good to look at other sciences to see what they have done and to apply some of their actions if they bring the desired results. As a Christian he feels that those disciplines are not a threat to his beliefs because he knows who he is in Christ. With Yoga, he feels that one can glean some great body and mind controlling disciplines especially for those kids who are lacking in those natural skills.  The results he sees has reinforced that.  Some kids, destined to a life of mind interfering drugs that doctors may prescribe, have shown great strides in controlling their moods and actions.  It has nothing to do with mysticism but has everything to do with self control.

I was impressed by Shane’s transparency.  Inwardly, I wondered about the non- medical opportunities this could present to children subject to these behavioral issues.  I decided to keep an open mind. 

I do have to say that his class, a forty minute introductory presentation, was laid out well, explored the limitations of your body strength, and focused a lot on body balance and stretching.  And I did feel better afterwards.

A number of the staff spent an enormous amount of time in the kitchen preparing a wonderful turkey dinner complete with stuffing, applesauce and mashed potatoes.  John, once again, stepped up to the plate and made his apple dumplings for dessert.  I’m passing on that as I write this entry; I’m quite happily full and will not overdo it.

One last event; Tom set off an array of fireworks from the helipad.  My typing was interrupted one last time as I simply had to sucuumb to the magnetism of the event and step out to watch.  I don’t know what it is about fireworks but they remind me of a simpler time; one of gathering around as a family to watch the fiery wonders in the sky.  I can remember mom and dad piling us in the back of the station wagon when we were kids and he’d drive us down to the ‘new’ mall at south Shadeland Road in Indianapolis to watch the July 4th fireworks.  It was one of those times, like on the movie The Sand Lot, where family stares together at the show, or, as in our own family, would sit on the banks of the Ohio River in Madison and watch the display shooting upwards from the barge in the river.  It is an event that always triggers nostalgic memories of growing up, of family, together watching and laughing; it simply cannot be missed.  

So ended my Christmas Day of 2011.  Different events in a strange land far from home; warm greetings from family via electronic medium; sharing ideas with a new friend on the beach; traditional meals with new faces; fireworks on a warm but comfortable evening.  I suppose it was a different kind of Christmas.  But that, in itself I suppose, was not bad at all.

3 comments:

  1. I Agree with S. Sure there are individuals who study Yoga for spiritual reasons--the wrong reasons. But I know where my faith and heart lies and look to Yoga only for a great challenging work out and relaxation. :) plus the baby belly quickly vanishes! --cj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun day Dad. It's been a long time since I've had challenging and insightful conversations regarding non-everyday aspects of life. I know I greatly enjoy those conversations.

    As soon as you mentioned fireworks I thought of Madison. Those were some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a late comment...but, i LOVE that you have an interest in yoga. Quite impressive UC. Quite impressive:)
    love,
    mimi

    ReplyDelete